Dishwashers have become more of a must-have kitchen accessory since most people rely on them be it workweek or weekend. But since these are all connected to a water supply line which leaves a lot of potential for undesirable water damage from dishwasher leak.
A flood can occur very quickly when dishwashers leak. Water can spread the entire kitchen and seep under floors and into your cabinets leading to a more serious issue. To prevent this, cleaning up water damage is necessary and must be done immediately.
Signs of Water Damage from Dishwasher Leaks
Undetected slow leaks can even cause more serious water damage to your kitchen. Take steps to have this issue fully addressed especially with the help of water damage experts. Closely inspect your walls, flooring, kitchen cabinets, and the room below for the following signs of water damage:
- Discoloration/Water stains
- Musty odors
- Peeling paint/bubbling
- Peaking, warping, or buckling flooring
- Squishy or soft walls
- Drooping ceiling
- Mold growth
Cleaning up Water Damage From Dishwasher Leak
Dealing with water damage from dishwasher leak is never easy. But with the help of professionals, extensive damage can be prevented. Taking the DIY route in cleaning-up is helpful especially when you get to know some basic tips in this article.
1. Be concerned about your safety.
- It’s not safe to enter a water-damaged home if electrical appliances are plugged in. So before starting to clean, unplug everything or shut off the circuit breaker.
- To reduce further water damage, turn off water supply line valves. However, if you’re not sure about the source of the flooding, turn off the shutoff valve instead.
- Use rubber gloves and boots before you start to clean.
2. Begin cleaning and soaking up water.
- Prepare mops, buckets, and towels to get rid of standing water.
- Mop up water on the kitchen floor and check water underneath any kitchen appliances.
- Check lower cabinets and pull out the dishwasher and baseboards so as not to overlook water damage from leaks.
- Use a wet vac if possible to speed up water removal.
3. Ensure proper airflow.
- Open all the windows and doors of the room. You can also position several large fans as well as turning on the dehumidifier to remove excess moisture.
- If necessary, move everything out of the kitchen such as tables, rugs, and chairs to well-ventilated areas.
To fix a leaky dishwasher, you may follow these steps.
Seek Help From Water Damage Pros
Cleaning and drying out your kitchen after water damage might not be enough. Ensure that there isn’t any excess moisture left on your floor or other areas that are susceptible to water damage. Calling a reliable local water damage repair right away can help prevent significant water damage and other related issues like mold growth.
If you have water damage stemming from a leak, allow Superior Restoration to guide and help you handle this issue. We are available 24/7 to better serve you. Call our local office today, Water Damage Riverside.