At some point, all of us need to take a break. Whether it’s a quick weekend trip away or a much longer trip to your planning having your house prepared will give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy your vacation. One of the things you need to consider is to make sure that you can avoid water damage during getaway. Here are a few things you can do to leave your house in the best condition in order to stop or prevent water damage while you are on vacation.
Prevent Water Damage During Getaway!
5 Must-Do Things to Avoid Water Damage During Getaway
Whenever we want to go on a vacation, all we want to happen is to enjoy the experience. In order to make sure that we will seize and enjoy every moment of our trip, we have to assure first the safety of our home. One of the things we have to take note of before leaving is that we have done things to avoid water damage during getaway. Following are some simple tips that we can do in order to keep our home safe while we are on a break.
- Double check that all doors and windows locked and secured keypad wind and rain. This is one of the most likely causes of water damage and one of the most easily prevented.
- Set your water heater temperature control to the vacation setting and a shot off the gas supply to the water heater. This will not only prevent potential water damage but will also save you money and prevent your water heater from heating up water that you will never use.
- Turn off the water supply to washing machines, toilets, sinks, fridge, and icemaker before leaving. This will save you money and reduce the risk of coming back to a flooded home.
- Check if your basement has a sump pump and make sure it’s functioning properly. It would be unfortunate to return home and discover a flooded basement.
- Common causes of water damage when you’re away include leaking water heaters, appliances with leaks, burst pipes, and frozen pipes in very cold areas.