At some point, all of us need to take a break. Whether it’s a quick weekend trip away or a much longer trip to your planning having your house prepared will give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy your vacation. One of the things you need to consider is to make sure that you can avoid water damage during getaway. Here are a few things you can do to leave your house in the best condition in order to stop or prevent water damage while you are on vacation.
5 Must-Do Things to Avoid Water Damage During Getaway
Whenever we want to go on a vacation, all we want to happen is to enjoy the experience. In order to make sure that we will seize and enjoy every moment of our trip, we have to assure first the safety of our home. One of the things we have to take note of before leaving is that we have done things to avoid water damage during getaway. Following are some simple tips that we can do in order to keep our home safe while we are on a break.
- Double check that all doors and windows locked and secured keypad wind and rain. This is one of the most likely causes of water damage and one of the most easily prevented.
- Set your water heater temperature control to the vacation setting and a shot off the gas supply to the water heater. This will not only prevent potential water damage but will also save you money and prevent your water heater from heating up water that you will never use.
- shut off your water supply line to washing machines, toilets, sinks and of course your fridge and icemaker. The less things are using water while you’re away more money you’ll save and the more likely the years to come home not finding your home flooded.
- If you have a basement and if you have a sump pump make sure that it is in working order The last thing you want to do is come home to find your basement flooded.
- Some of the major causes of water damage while you’re away our leaking water heaters, appliances that started to leak, pipes that have burst and in particularly cold climates frozen pipes.